Re: Advice on teacher education?

Michael Edmiston wrote:

Snip

Kyle
suggests that difficult courses such as a semester of physics may drive
prospective teachers away from science. That might be true, but maybe
that's not all that bad. My feeling is that someone who cannot do physics
at the entry-level in college ought not be teaching physical science at any
age level. What we have to do is convince prospective teachers that this
entry level course is not only passable, but also an interesting course.
Virtually everyone who takes it and passes it agrees that they learned a lot
of really interesting things. But they also agree they worked hard. Can't
we expect that from future teachers?

I agree. Having these more rigorous requirements might "scare" some people out but we
owe it to the teaching candidates and to their future students to require a better
background. Would any of us suggest that a Ph.D. candidate not be required to quantum
mechanics for example because "it is hard and when will we ever use it anyway?" If a
large number of potential medical students couldn't pass their board exams would we lower
the passing score because "we need more family doctors"?

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Hutchinson High School