Re: Physics First

A few comments:

1) I don't really think that the Physics First movement is specifically
designed to create a flood of physicists, although a national HS curriculum
that follows this plan would certainly require a huge increase in the number
of physics teachers. Rather, it is an attempt to present a more logical
progression of the sciences to the general public (HS students). How is one
supposed to really grasp Chemical bonding without at least a basic
understanding of electrical forces?

2) One thing I think that the PER people have clearly shown is that we can
easily spend a whole year (and more) working on the basic conceptual
understanding of many key ideas in physics. It can easily take half a year
just to work on the concepts of velocity, acceleration, force, momentum, and
energy all in a 'mechanics' framework. This conceptual work can be done
using only a very limited amount of Algebraic reasoning which should be very
consistent with 1st year HS math.

3) The ultimate plan for a strong HS science curriculum with Physics 1st,
is that in the 4th year students would take a second, higher level course in
the science of their choice. This is where those 'pre-destined' to be
physicists would reemerge!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software
Win9x, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, PowerMac versions.
Details at www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara