Re: Physics First

Michael Edmiston wrote:
Also note that in the State of Ohio the new teacher licensure procedure
combines physics and chemistry. You cannot be licensed to teach just
chemistry or just physics. You have to become licensed to teach both,
and
it is called a "physical science license." A person earning this license
could teach the freshman integrated course and also the regular chemistry
course and the regular physics course. Physical science licensure
follows
the "dual field model" of teacher preparation as outlined by NSTA. The
prospective teacher takes about 24 semester hours of chemistry, 24 hours
of
physics, and about 12 more hours in biology, and earth/space science.
Unfortunately this cannot typically be done in four years. At Bluffton
College the student has to do student teaching in a ninth semester.

Here in Minnesota we are just starting to move away from the "Physical
Sciences (Physics and Chemistry)" license. It is similar to what is
described above.

This licensing system has done an excellent job of exacerbating the
shortage of teachers licensed to teach either subject. When I was getting
my license, I saw at least two other people with degrees in physics and,
often, some teaching experience, who were considering pursuing licensure.
They were usually also considering something else. They went with the
"something else." It's bad enough having to waste time and money with
education courses; having to also pick up a minor in chem is usually the
straw that breaks the camel's back. Most physics majors are not that crazy
about chem, and don't want to teach it; they want to teach physics, and
maybe math. Most chem majors want to teach chem, not physics.

This license is nice for those who go through an undergraduate program
geared toward the licensure. That's a small fraction of the people who
would make good physics teachers or good chem teachers. There are many
more people who major in physics, chemistry, or engineering who would like
to teach, but have an additional barrier in their way.

I contend that a full physics major is better preparation for teaching
physics than half a physics major; same for chem. This licensure system
does an excellent job of driving away people with full majors in the
subject area they really want to teach.

Contrary to popular legislative belief, the way to relieve teacher
shortages is NOT to place obstacles in the way of candidates for licensure.

Digby Willard
St. Paul Central High School
St. Paul, MN