Re: Physics First

At last we have the first one of our listserv networkers to suggest a
practical
way to start implementing a change from the present biology, chemistry,
physics
sequence to the preferred physics, chemistry biology sequence. Can
anyone else
on this list do as well, or possibly better, by giving us his (or her)
own "practical"
suggestions?

E. David Theilk wrote:

I believe that a plan could be developed to phase in school
districts to the new plan over a period of time. I think
it is also true that many, many physics majors would be interested in
teaching, and there are many ways to support physics undergraduate
programs
to help those college students consider teaching. I would guess that if
indeed a decision were made to emphasize physics at the ninth grade, the
transition could occur in 4-6 years. And that is about as fast as
anything
can occur in public schools. A practical solution - I don't know. Hard
work
to incorporate change - yes.

Dave from Port Townsend (where everyone loves to talk a great deal and do
very little when it comes to change in the schools).

-