Re: Can it be recovered???

Thanks again to all who tried to help. I did leave the
computer at home idle and came to school. This and
earlier messages (except the first SOS) were sent
from school.

I just saw two of our local experts. Both know Norton
Utility and have extensive troubleshooting experience.
They say Norton, or any other software, would work
to recover a file which was deleted (putting into the
trash and emptying the trash). But it would not work
for a file which was overwritten. The part which is
sitting somewhere on the disk has no information
about what it was.

So it looks like I should start working to recreate what
was lost as soon as possible. I still remember what it
was, more or less. Learn from my mistake, protect
your intellectual investment.
Ludwik Kowalski

John Denker wrote:

To prevent (or at least alleviate) such problems in the future, you should
get into the habit of checkpointing your files. That is, take the file
foo.doc and copy it to foo-1.doc. A little later, copy the current version
(always foo.doc) and copy it to foo-2.doc. Then foo-3.doc. (The first
thought that comes into many people's mind is to use the highest-numbered
checkpoint as the current version, but don't do it. You want the current
version to have an unchanging unnumbered name.)

Disks are about $10.00 per gigabyte these days, so there's not much sense
in economizing on disk space. Only if/when the disk fills up should you
bother to rampage around and delete some of the ancient checkpoints.

Oh, and you should back up the whole disk to tape (or some other offline
storage) every so often.