Language and Physics

Hello--

I came across the following quote by H.R. Crane in the American Journal
of Physics, Volume 12, 1968 in his article "Students Do Not Think
Physics is 'Relevant'":

"The noncalculus students come to use with a pretty highly developed
language, and they even have their own terms for many phenomena of
physics. The trouble is, it is different from ours. It would be fine
if we could start at the beginning of the course discussing physics in
their language and gradually convert to ours by the end of the course.
Instead, we feel that we have to start right off using ours. We are
like Parisian taxi drivers. We don't recognize any tongue but our own.
Their only defense is to repeat the words and phrased back to us, but
when they do that we are not having two way communication."

My question is this. Has this situation changed to any degree in the 32
years since this article was published? If so, how? If not, is there
still a problem in communication with the student or have the students
become more knowledgeable than they were 32 years ago? Finally, is
there any merit to Crane's suggestion that the language of the course be
used in the student's language at the beginning of the course and end up
with the language of physics at the end of the course?

Thanks for your time.

Carl C. Gaither & Alma E. Cavazos-Gaither (Authors)

Statistically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Physically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Physics and Astronomy

Mathematically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
Practically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Engineering
Medically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations on Dentistry, Medicine,
and Nursing
Scientifically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/StatBook/index.html