Re: Teaching to the test

Gary Wrote:

Rick,
You show what I object to in the phrase "teaching to
the test." It is not
so much whether it is by itself good or bad, but the values
it inculcates
into those involved. It says that life is tests and it is not
what you know
as much as how well you can pass the tests that counts. I
view education as
a life long process where the process is as important as the results.
Knowing how to learn is even more important then what you
know. Whereas
many of my students view life as a series of tests that must
be passed and
little else. They seem to have no knowledge of what was covered in the
courses they have taken before, or why we think it is
important to know
what we are asking them to learn. Just will it be on the test!

I share, more or less, the same philosophy that Gary appears to be
advocating here; but I might point out that the world view his students are
expressing *may* match reality more accurately than the one he and I prefer.

Joel