Re: Teaching to the test

Rick,
You show what I object to in the phrase "teaching to the test." It is not
so much whether it is by itself good or bad, but the values it inculcates
into those involved. It says that life is tests and it is not what you know
as much as how well you can pass the tests that counts. I view education as
a life long process where the process is as important as the results.
Knowing how to learn is even more important then what you know. Whereas
many of my students view life as a series of tests that must be passed and
little else. They seem to have no knowledge of what was covered in the
courses they have taken before, or why we think it is important to know
what we are asking them to learn. Just will it be on the test!
"Men are disturbed not by things, but the views which they take of them."
- Epictetus

Sorry for the soap box.

Gary