From: "Leigh Palmer" <palmer@SFU.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: the value of science

I don't think that's the intent of weapons research. I certainly favor
research on methods of thwarting terrorists, however.

I was raised in the second world war and afterward, under the constant
threat of nuclear holocaust. I think you underestimate the relative
security in which we now live. Children can go to school secure in the
knowledge that their own firearms will protect them from harm. When
the killing of a six year old makes national news I compare it to 1943
or 1953 and I am encouraged.

Leigh