Re: Teaching to the test

"Richard W. Tarara" wrote:

Here's my anecdote concerning 'teaching to the test'.

SNIP

That worked well early on when the workshops were filled with more
experienced teachers. In fact, I had a couple come back for a second year
to 'get some more of the same.' However, in later years, with the
population of the workshops tending towards the younger, less experienced
teachers, I found that ALL they wanted to do was to learn HOW TO TEACH TO
THE TEST. My efforts to stress that they needed to teach a GOOD,
College-Level course (and what that entailed) fell on deaf ears. Finally,
out of frustration, I gave up and have not taught the workshop for the past
three years.

In Minnesota we even encourage teaching to the test. If a student here gets a
"5" on a AP test the teacher gets check for $50, $25 for a "4". That is for
each student, and our district just decided to match this because "it is a form
of merit pay", of course only the teachers who teach an AP class even have the
opportunity to get this "merit pay".

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Hutchinson High School