[no subject]

Dear Colleagues:

I have been troubled by folks on the List seemingly having
a problem with some nebulous category of people referred to
as "creationists." On the surface, the term simply reflects
the belief that what we see was created- the term implies
a Creator, period.

For purposes of discussion on this List,
is a creationist someone who

a) is a Deist only
b) believes in a 6 day (144hr) creation event
c) believes the Bible is inerrant
d) attends church regularly
e) rejects scientific naturalism
f) is a professing Christian
g) some of the above
h) all of the above?

I've read the term "creationist" several times on the List-
always in a negative light. There seems to be an inbuilt
assumption that whoever these people are they are of low
IQ advancing some sort of evil anti-science agenda.

Does everyone on the list subscribe to scientific naturalism
only- are there not even a few Deists out there? Is there any
empirical evidence that there was NO creator before the first,
say, femtosecond? Is physics the only reasonable religion and
are scientists the only viable priesthood?

I do know people of faith who believe in a Creator who have
advanced degrees- some in physics even!- and posperous scientific
careers. One is even a very prosperous biophysicist doing important
cancer research at one of the top 5 research institutions in the
country. However, this biophysicist has a very fundamental
faith in the Scriptures. Let's not demean folks of faith in a
Creator anymore than we would demean the atheist or the agnostic.

David

Dr. David Ward
Dept. of Chemistry & Physics
UNU#3160