[no subject]

I am in the same postion as Digby Willard ( see below) and agree with him.
I prefer to think of myself not as teaching TO the test, but as teaching
BETOND the test- my objectives include preparing students to take the AP
test, but go well beyond that- I also recognize that my students will
continue to face tests in their academic pursuits, and therefore I try to
teach them the metaskills that make for good test taking-just some of the
set of thinking and reasoning skills that I try to inculcate-not the be all
and end all of my objectives.

Bob Morse, St. Albans School, Washington, DC

Digby Willard wrote
I prep students for both IB and AP tests. I don't particularly like
teaching to the test, but it comes with the job I have, and I do
particularly like the kids I get.

The tests do have value in several ways.

-The tests are beyond my control. This is not completely a good thing, of
course, because it means I make a lot of choices on what to cover based on
what's on the test as opposed to what I think my students would really
benefit from. But the the external aspect of the test removes a lot of
the
game-playing that can go on when the teacher is the one who writes the
test, and gets through to a lot of students that they have to actually
study the material and understand it.

-Students who review for the tests understand many things better than they
did the first time through, and start to see connections they didn't see
before. This is probably the most valuable benefit from teaching toward
an
external test.

-Students get a sense from their test score a sense of how good they are
at
physics in relation to to other high school students. This is more true
of
the AP test than the IB test.

I find that I enjoy teaching most when I just take a "the hell with the
test" attitude most of the year, and then deal with the test in late April
and early May, rather than focus on test prep throughout the year. My
students also enjoy it quite a bit more, from what I can tell.