Re: Me & my soapbox: was(PHYS-L Digest - 28 Feb 2000 to 29 Feb 2000 (#2000-68))

Hugh Haskel wrote in part:
. . .In this climate
education was limited to what people needed to get the immediate job
done--enough reading to be able to read a set of instructions and the
Bible, enough writing to sign your name and maybe write a letter home
when away at war, and enough arithmetic to be able to handle
money--anything more was a luxury for the rich. . . .

. . . and hope that those newly admitted bring a thirst
for learning that will eventually overwhelm our anti-intellectual
heritage and change it. A tall order, but maybe our only chance.
Otherwise, our days as the leading nation of the world may be
numbered.

I find it a bit ironic that the defence of education against the
anti-intellectual masses (last sentence and paragraph) is based on a
utilitarian need; the sort of which is seen as limiting in the top
paragraph.

If education and intellectualism must be defended by the utilitarian need of
keeping the good ole US of A the leading nation of the world; we've lost the
battle already.

Joel Rauber