Re: Education

Yes, phone your senators and tell them that you support block grants and
that the the federal government should keep its nose out of education all
together. In fact tell them that the Dept of Education should be buried
peacefully in a distant part of the galaxy -- and that your taxes should be
reduced by the amount given to the DEd.

Jim Green

Nope. Don't think I'm gonna do that. While DEd may not always have
the right answers, the local school boards and depts of ed. have not
covered themselves with glory either. Instead of cutting taxes
destined for education we need to raise them, and it may be that the
only ones who can do that non-regressively are the feds. Of course we
could help the ed. funding a lot by forgetting some of the hot
projects of the local gov'ts, such as building more prisons. If we go
the education right in the first place, we wouldn't need all those
prisons and we could spend the money made avaialable on making
education better. But when I look at how the various states that I
have lived in or visited or read about take care of education (e.g.,
Kansas, or California, or Mississippi, to name just three egregious
examples), I become convinced that the feds don't do it all that
badly.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell