Re: What Hath Einstein Writ?

I disagree. The daughter nuclei are what is left behind, normally
accounting for little if any of the released energy or of the
momentum of the system because they are locked in a lattice (not
necessarily, though.

Oh my. It is true that I have not closely witnessed a nuclear explosion.
but from the photos I have seen it would appear that the so called daughter
products _do_ go flying off at high speed and temperature and therefore do
have a high energy -- AND a higher mass than the rest -- otherwise mass is
not conserved -- which is required in my picture of the Universe. Yes, in
a controlled reaction the daughter products for the most part remain in the
reactor -- except for the likes of Chernobyl -- but these products have
high energy AND high mass.

The issue is clouded by the use of language like "release energy" -- energy
is not a substance which is "released".

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen