Re: imported vocabulary

If I remember correctly, the French and Spanish Academies of Language are
not related to the government, but independent organizations.

Wilson.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Chuck Britton wrote:

The French and Spanish governments (and perhaps others) have official
"Academies' which regulate 'proper' vocabulary and use of their
languages. I am glad that the US has not adopted such restrictions
(yet?). However, if we DID decide to start such 'official,
governmental' input, I trust that the group would include a few
expatriates, and would
carry out their deliberations on phys-L!

(Or then again, perhaps my citation of French and Spanish 'Academies
of Language' is just a memorism on my part.)

Wilson J. Gonzalez-Espada
Science Education Department
University of Georgia
wge@arches.uga.edu