burning my breeches

A kind lurker has gently infomed me that I misspelled the word we
were discussing. The proper spelling is "breach". I don't think
I've written that word before, and perhaps I have too seldom
seen it written, but it is burned into my lexical cortex now. I
did consult a dictionary, but the one I looked at said the word
was derived from "brecan, to break", though it did not give the
meaning I reported. That was the best I could do since the
correctly spelled word was not nearby.

My apologies if any impresionable children were watching.

Leigh