Re: superheated water

At 05:58 PM 2/3/00 -0500, Michael Edmiston wrote in part:

the water heats first at the top; just the
opposite of water on a stove.

and suggested the explanation:

Most microwave ovens bring the waves in from the top.

To this I might add another contributing explanation: The bottom of the
oven is a metal plate. I'll bet it's always a node in the electric field,
no matter how/where the microwaves are brought in.

Because of this obvious node, I have for years put a glass spacer in the
bottom of my microwave ovens, so that the food sits several CM above the
floor.

Later, at 09:48 AM 2/4/00 -0500, Michael Edmiston wrote a very nice note