Re: definition of physics

At 10:54 AM 2/3/00 -0700, you wrote:
Gentle physics gurus,

I'm thinking about putting a definition of physics on our department web
page and in our catalog, especially for those who don't already have an
idea of what physics is (or for those who associate "physics" only with
"hard math"). What do you suggest?

I only had room for the following on the cover label I used recently for a
session in a summer physics institute for HS teachers:

Physics is a human enterprise dealing with uncertainty and change, giving
us valuable insights into the working world in spite of these uncertainties
and because of these changes.

Tom Ford