Re: A rotating Earth

At 01:13 PM 2/3/00 -0800, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

> I'm particularly curious about what Brahe
>thought about all of this since his model sits right on the cusp of the
>transition to the sun-centered view. Did his Earth rotate?

Certainly Copernicus proposed in 1543 daily rotation as well as yearly
orbit. Ref:
http://es.rice.edu/ES/humsoc/Galileo/Things/copernican_system.html

IMHO that's the modern cusp. Brahe didn't come onto the scene until 20+
years later.

Perhaps more to the point, Aristarchus went for the "twofer" as well. Ref:
http://turnbull.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Aristarchus.html

----

>What does anyone out there know about this stuff? Are there any good
>references?

A list of relevant-sounding titles can be found in
http://carnap.umd.edu/chps/reading_list/single_list.html