Re: Sig Figures

So are you saying that you would treat a problem with 4 significant
figures in
their linear functions and only 2 in their trig functions as an output
answer
of only 2 sig figs? Or are you separating the two? Example: a vector
with a
magnitude with 4 sig figs and an angle with only 2 sig figs?

This may sound picky. I also am striving to get the students to pay
attention
to details and not to claim more accuracy than is given.. Hopefully,
this
attention to detail will flow over to the lab analysis where, admittedly
so,
is a problem for my students. But because we stress sig figs in our
lecture
portion, they are quick to ask (or determine for them selves) for the
limitations of their measuring devices.

My original question was generated to explain the inconsistency between
sig
figs in the linear function and the trig function in the book. My
students
have noticed this on several occasions (seems they really are paying
attention)

John Carr
Physics
Eau Gallie High School

Richard Bowman wrote:

. The usual "rules" only apply to linear functions. Trigonometric
functions of angles are not linear in angle. However, just getting
students to realize that sig fig's are important, I let my students simply
treat trig functions as if they are linear. Thus three digits in angle
implies three digits in sin or cos, etc.