Re: Optical dispersion in fibers

At 09:42 1/29/00 -0500, Ludwik wrote:
And, as John wrote,
Solving the spatial problem doesn't get rid of dispersion
(which occurs in frequency-space, even in a fiber with
a single spatial mode).

The optical amplification, however, should be useful in
overcoming limits imposed by dispersion.

I should know better than to offer off the cuff thoughts on a
current research topic. I am even more likely to contribute to the
delinquency of minors when I offer knee-jerk responses at 3:30
in the morning.

In particular, in line optical amplification does not normally help
with dispersion issues (as I enthused) even where skinny
monomode fibers are operated near nominally zero dispersion
regions. Fortunately, there is a wealth of relatively recent
research material available on the web as a corrective.

Perhaps I should content myself (among the hand-wringing of
web-authors on the difficulties of attempting fiber predictions
of pulse behavior using the non-linear Schrodinger equation)
with the results of an earlier generation of proponents of
bulk transport by soliton methods: I refer to the folks who
were not pleased to be called 'bargees' (prefering the title,
'narrowboat-men') who found that a threshold intensity
of wave front on an inland canal was necessary to propagate
such a low-loss wave:
they used two shire horses in tandem for the wave launching of
the transport packet ..er.. barge, before continuing mile on
mile with a single hauler. They found that intensity non
linearities are of interest (rather than spatial non-linearities).

Here is an URL among the overwhelming numbers from SPIE, etc:

<http://www.ece.wpi.edu/courses/ee535/hwk96/hwk5cd96/li/li.html#intro>

My eye was also caught by this abstract from Yuk, Yu, Chui, and Shum.

Tony I. Yuk, Univ. of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong et al:

Abstract: This paper describes the development of numerical
simulation models of soliton systems using a newly
developed Fourier Series Analysis Technique to analyze
the nonlinear Schrodinger equation of soliton
propagation. Generation of sub-picosecond solitons in
an active mode-locked fiber ring laser with amplitude
and phase modulators and soliton pulse compression
mechanisms using dispersion decreasing fiber are
investigated.

Sincerely
Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>