Tor

brian whatcott wrote

There are waves of many kinds. One that was not discussed
is the travelling wave that is excited in a stiff material by
applying a torque pulse. If I recall, this is non-dispersive.

Actually John did mentioned such waves but I cut that part
of his longer message. The editors must do this, sorry. Is
there any good reason for torsion waves (along a circular
rod, or along a slinky) to be less dispersive than other stiff
waves in the same medium.

Dispersion does prevent long range communication. Right?
In fact, optical fibers would not work for long distances if
the modulated light were not produced by a laser, or another
highly monochromatic light sources.
Ludwik Kowalski