Re: Stiffness waves (was SLINKY)

"John S. Denker" wrote:

I'm not sure what "introductory" means. Can you be more specific: Ninth
graders? Twelfth graders? College freshman physics majors who presumably
had at least a year of physics in high school?

The first physics course at the university would be a case. It is already
overloaded with topics. The stiffness waves can wait for a more advanced
course.

In particular, it's bad luck to speak of "the" wave equation. There's lots
of wave equations.

Probably because many quite different physical phenomena are called
waves. Can somebody bring an acceptable general definition of a wave
for classical physics? My impression was (up to now) that all waves
(by definition ?) must satisfy the familiar second order derivative equation.
At least that is what I teach: wave is a moving disturbance (shape for
transverse waves). Waves of probability do not belong to classical physics.
Ludwik Kowalski