Re: Something to keep in mind!

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Zach Wolff wrote:

I was born in 1980 and feel I have to stick up for my
generation. This list insults our early childhood
memories as well as our knowledge of recent history.
I have included individual comments below. Yes, times
have changed. No, kids today aren't from another
planet.

[snip]

Sorry to rain on the old-timers parade. Or maybe I
just made everyone feel a bit younger. Wait five
years and this might be accurate.

Or maybe only 3.5 years, since this past Fall's incoming class of
traditional freshmen were born in 1981, not 1980.

P.S. I'm pretty young myself (compared to others on the list) but just old
enough to have been surprised when I first learned that my students were
born after the bicentennial (let alone have no memory of it) and that the
proper name was "remote" and not "clicker". The value of such lists is
that it reminds us that we probably don't know our students as much as we
want to think we do.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |