Re: pitch and psychophysics

What kind of notes? Piano notes? If so, there are plausible hypotheses
that involve more piano-physics than psychology.

Why deprecate psychology? Are you convinced that physics has all the
answers? That is a belief structure beyond simple reductionism.

A simpler hypothesis is that they all learned their sense of pitch by
rehearsing with a piano. Again, no psychology required.

Have you a clear idea of the range of vocal pitches Michael is talking
about? They certainly never come near the the pianistic pitch limits
at which interval stretching is *sometimes* seen. (I've often wondered
what a good soprano is thinking wnen she reaches the high "F" in the
Queen of the Night's famous screaming, er, aria in "The Magic Flute".)

I will reiterate here that not all piano tuning involves stretching.
It is a matter of the artists' taste - and sometimes that of the piano
tuner!

Leigh