Re: Encouraging phys-l contributions

Margaret Mazzolini wrote:

Guys,
I wrote a posting a couple of months ago about possible reasons why
women may not feel comfortable about posting to the list, and one of my
suggestions was because of the aggressive tone of some of the exchanges.

A curious thing about the medium itself... when I write something it is
intended as abstract comment without personal involvement or
implication, but when I read what somebody else has written it is deeply
personal. I am often completely perplexed at the offense generated by
what I've written and although I try to account for this have not yet
mastered it by any stretch.

I have not met John at all, but worked at Simon Fraser for a couple of
years and was in the coffee room during many Leigh Palmer discussions.
I can say that in my experience he is very direct and forceful in what
he has to say, but not at all malicious in his intent towards the other
person. Perhaps we can all learn to think of each other in this light
before embarking on what we consider to be "responding in kind" to the
other person's tone.

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source
http://www.dctech.com/physics/