Re: Encouraging phys-l contributions

There are others of us who just delete the thread rather than deal with
it.

cheers

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Please don't stereotype us, Margaret. This particular interchange
discourages at least one person of my sex. I spend a fair amount
of my time trying to deflate the unjustified hubris of physicists,
and I have taken on excessive claims by those of both sexes in
the past.

Leigh

Guys,
I wrote a posting a couple of months ago about possible reasons why
women may not feel comfortable about posting to the list, and one of my
suggestions was because of the aggressive tone of some of the exchanges.
Thanks for providing a perfect example!
While it could be argued (and by me) that these robust exchanges are in
principle perfectly ok between consenting adults, it can also be argued
(and also by me!) that they can also scare off other potential
contributors, who picture themselves being similarly flamed. Perhaps
the trick is to decide what interchanges should be conducted off-list
versus on-list. We don't all have asbestos underwear ...
Cheers
Margaret