Re: SLINKY

Thanks again, John.

As, always I am happy to learn new thinks which
can help me in a classroom. Your derivation (see
below) was clear. I did not know that the speed of
longitudinal waves is described by a formula which
differs from the transverse formula in "s instead
of T".

To predict the transverse speed we must know the
tension T (in addition to linear density rho, which
I call mu); the magnitude of the spring constant k
has nothing to do with it. But, as you "proved", to
predict the longitudinal speed we simply replace T
by s, the spring stiffness (which appears in Hooks
law for flexion).

On the purely intuitive basis I would not expect this.
After all in both cases, longitudinal and transverse,
the restoring force is directly proportional to the
corresponding displacement. If k is not relevant in
one case then I would expect s to irrelevant in
another. I would expect the longitudinal wave in a
slinky to depend on T rather than on s.

It turns out that s can be measured as easily as k.
Right? Thus your mathematically derived formula can
be subjected to an acceptable experimental validation.
A good student project or lab. Does anybody do this?

By the way, my first classroom waves demo is based on
a long stretched spring. I firmly attach one end to
a hook, increase the length of the spring by stretching
it (about 30%) and wiggle the other end up and down.
A standing wave (over a distance of about 10 m) can
easily be produced. The speed was never measured but
I assume that the standard formula, v=sqr(T/mu), is
applicable. Would you agree?
Ludwik Kowalski

P.S. Actually, the dependence of v on k does exist
but it is hidden. Two springs whose relaxed lengths
are identical, but whose k are different, would result
in different mu for the same T (or different T for
the same mu). Each of them, however, should behave like
a cable, or a rope, whose T and mu are identical. Right?