Re: adiabaticity and reversibility

This reminds me of one of my favorite demonstrations. How many of you
do the Clement-Desormes experiment to measure the ratio of specific
heats in a gas? I always do this as a lecture demonstration when I
teach thermodynamics. It really works very well when one learns to
perform the expansion in a manner which justifies the adiabatic
approximation.

Leigh

I've either forgotten (most likely) or never seen this experiment.
Can you give a quick rundown of how to do it in practical terms or
provide a reference? For that matter, what other thermo demos do you
often do? I'm teaching thermo this semester for the first time so
would be very very glad for any suggestions. Carl
--
Dr. Carl E. Mungan, Assistant Professor http://uwf.edu/cmungan/
Dept. of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514-5751