Re: Magnet Therapy

At 12:04 PM 1/13/00 -0500, S Goelzer wrote:

I have found no serious lit. regarding the effects of a static field.

I doubt there ever will be any serious non-null results for the static
case. IMHO it is highly implausible for a static field to have the claimed
effects.

The key according to my survey of the literature to this healing
effect is the presence of a changing magnetic field.

The AC device is much more plausible. Bone is piezoelectric, which leads
to a very tempting hypothesis that the resulting electric field (and hence
any electric field) could play a role in regulating bone
growth. Definitive proof is lacking. See
http://www.ortho.lsumc.edu/Faculty/Marino/EL/EL4/Piezo.html
for more on this, including scholarly references.