Re: Grade Inflation -- more

I don't think this is grade inflation (or whatever the appropriate term is
for a situation with no grades). I think its an attempt to increase the
appeal of the programs. In the 1950's, most people at home couldn't play
along. Today, they can.

Digby

A wonderful example of grade inflation:

THE LIST
Questions asked
on TV quiz shows
in the 1950s

-- Identify six portraits by artist, subject and teacher with whom the
artist studied.
-- Name the Verdi opera with which Arturo Toscanini began his conducting

career.
-- Name the kings of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Jordan
-- What was the name of the anti-populist newspaper editor in Kansas in
the
1920s and what was the name of the column he wrote?

THE LIST
Questions asked
on TV quiz shows
in the 1990s

-- What two colors make up an Oreo cookie?
-- What is your power source if you use solar energy?
-- What year did Columbus discover America?
-- The Empire State Building is located in what state?

As reported by Paul Farhi in the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com

from:

* * * * * * * * * *
THE PROGRESSIVE REVIEW
1312 18th St NW (5th Floor)
Washington DC 20036
202-835-0770 Fax: 202-835-0779
news@prorev.com
Editor: Sam Smith

INDEX : http://prorev.com
RECENT UNDERNEWS : http://prorev.com/indexa.htm
TODAY'S HEADLINES: http://prorev.com/altnews.htm
THE REVIEW FORUM: http://prorev.com/letters.htm

For a free trial subscription to both our bi-monthly hard copy edition
and our regular e-mail updates send your e-mail and terrestrial address

to news@prorev.com

To order "Sam Smith's Great American Political Repair Manual"
(WW Norton):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0393316270/progressiverevieA/

bc