Re: Snake Oil

Hello Everyone,

But if "junk science" is popular with the student body, why not make it a
degree program? The University of Minnesota* started offering a minor
degree program in "alternative medicine" which includes acupuncture,
massage and spiritual healing, theraputic touch, and naturopathy.

[*J.Y. Borger, "U offering minor degree in alternative medicine," Saint
Paul Pioneer Press, June 5, 1999 (p. 4D)]

Of course, I don't really endorse such a policy. But I do want to
underline the difficulty in trying to remove junk science from its
prevalence in society.

You may find an article that I've recently written on this subject
interesting. It was published in the APS Forum on Education with the title
"Science Curriculum Goals at Odds with Academia Supported Pseudoscience."
The full version of the article can be found at
http://physics.uwstout.edu/staff/scott/astrology.htm.

Regards, Alan Scott

Alan J. Scott
103G Jarvis Hall (Science Wing)