Re: where there's heat there's flames

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Jim Green wrote:

Good Grief, John, now we are trying to learn physics from AltaVista? Is
there a claim here that a population who learns physics from BillNye and
which watches TV in prime time should understand it correctly. Do you
realy want to VOTE on physics concepts??? Wow!

But, isn't that what we really do??? A new idea is introduced. We
go into the lab, test it. Report results. Everybody votes as to whether we
did the experiment correctly, whether the results are meaningful vis-a-vis
the new idea, etc. Eventually, we all vote as to whether we accept this
idea as a meaningful part of physics or not. It seems that we only accept
a principle when the majority of physicists agree on its validity. Sure
sounds like voting to me; although with very well-informed voters. :)

Mike Monce
Connecticut College