Re: grade-grubbing & course selection

If someone whose average grade is B is considered a 'hard grader' then
you
need look no farther than your own school for grade inflation and its
effects. ;-)

I disagree.

In a typical year, 20-30% of the students in my introductory course are
unltimately receive some kind of National Merit recognition. A good
fraction of them never receive an A in my class.

In another post you wrote that the really bad thing about grade inflation
is the effects on kids who are misguided as to their ability to function at
the next level. By this criterion my grades are pretty much on target, or
too low. Many students who get B's in my introductory physics class go on
to do well grade-wise at the most selective colleges, often in math,
science and engineering courses. (Of course, this brings us back to the
question of grade inflation at colleges.)

Digby