Re: Hewitt blew it again (? ? ? )

From a very basic view-point it seems to me that the question is whether the
force of fixed end of the chain on the moving parts of the chain are
experienced by just the closest moving link or by all the links--since to
accelerate >g the force on the block must involve a downward pull by the
chain. In a semi-rigid chain like a bicycle or saw chain, I can see this
happening. In a loosely linked chain (as in TPT) I have a harder time and
would tend to favor Leigh's original description. To explain Hewitt's
answer someone needs to explain how the force on the link nearest the fixed
end gets physically transmitted through all the other falling links to the
block.

Rick

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Uretsky" <jlu@HEP.ANL.GOV>
I just found my January issue.
Ignoring the part of the chain that "is making the transition"
is like asking "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"
That's the source of the whipping action that Hewitt talks about.
I haven't sat down to do the analysis - it involves a falling
catenary - but I can see where there is a resemblance to the falling
stick.
Regards,
Jack