Re: Hewitt blew it again (? ? ? )

At 11:42 AM -0800 1/6/00, Leigh Palmer wrote:

(I did not!)

Something VERY strange is going on down here in the former colonies.

We just used a 2.8 meter long chain and saw and heard a SIGNIFICANT
time interval before the plastic ball arrived at the floor.

What was the time interval? What was the precision of the simultaneity
of release? What was your release procedure? Why did you use a plastic
ball? Was air resistance insignificant?

Having done the experiment myself with a heavy two meter chain I can't
refute what you say, so I'll try to find a longer chain and repeat the
experiment. I will predict that the result will be no different. I just
realized that I can use a two meter chain to do the experiment over a
four meter drop - unless there's some magic I haven't been privy to.

(isn't THIS result in keeping with the AJP video analysis?????)

I'm sorry, I didn't follow the thread. What was the video analysis?

I repeat:

JUST BECAUSE HEWITT SAYS IT, *DOESN'T* GUARANTEE THAT IT IS WRONG!!!!!!!

What a cynical comment, but of course you are correct.

Leigh

"The race is not always to the swift - but that's the way to bet!"