Re: Heat through an adiabatic wall?

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2000 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: Heat through an adiabatic wall?

. . .
I know of only one action where dS=0 -- I have asked for help in
discovering other examples without success -- The one I know about is
the
reversible piston in an adiabatic cylinder which contains an ideal gas.
ALL
other actions that I can think of change the entropy . . .

Jim,

I'm not sure what you're after here, but the term dW = PdV, in the First
law applied to a gas, would be replaced by the generalized term YdX for a
more general system (eg.: charged particles in E fields, magnetic dipoles
in B fields, masses in gravitational fields). In these systems, are not
adiabatic variations of the applied field pertinent to your
considerations?

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)