Re: True Bohr story?

If I remember correctly the page included a drwng. of the student knocking on
the Super.'s door holding the barometer in his (no longer PC) other hand. The
editor was an anti-flouridationist -- arguments so cogent that I didn't dismiss
it out of hand.

bc

P.s. I remember its being in the Sat. Review of Lit. but not the issue; you
did?

Did this article initiate the urban (academic) legend?

Rick Strickert wrote:

A similar story of using a barometer to measure the height of a building
(but with no mention of Bohr) is at
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/scijokes/2_12.html#subindex
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/scijokes/2_12.html#subindex>

It came from an article is by Alexander Calandra and appeared first in "The
Saturday Review" (December 21, 1968, p 60). It is also in the collection
"More Random Walks in Science" by R.L.Weber, The Institute of Physics, 1982.

The webpage also has some emails suggesting other (Petard-like) ways to use
a barometer to measure the height of a building, no doubt suitable for
future urban legends.

Rick Strickert, Ph.D.
Radian International
Austin, TX