Re: grade inflation, etc.

Responding to the message of Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:01:44 -0500
from "Richard W. Tarara" <rtarara@SAINTMARYS.EDU>:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Digby Willard" <dwillard@milk.central.stpaul.k12.mn.us>

Suppose I have two students who work together in a lab. One student
understands the purpose of the lab better, figures out what equipment
use and how to set up the lab in order to give good results, analyzes
the
first set of data, and on the basis of the results proposes a second
experiment to investigate a trend in the data. The other student
contributes to the lab, but clearly doesn't have the understanding of
the
physics that the first student does. The first student doesn't turn in
lab report; the second one does. Which one has better ability to
"perform
physics?"

It doesn't matter how much one knows, or how skilled one is, if one
doesn't
demonstrate the knowledge and/or skill in some 'useful' way. In school,
we
use assessment tools like tests, quizzes, and assignments (lab reports in
this case) to allow students to demonstrate their knowledge and skills.

'Useful' to whom? The student went in, learned what he wanted to learn
(the pronoun is not misplaced; these students are almost always boys) and
also helped a lab partner or two learn what they wanted to learn...or at
least, what I wanted to learn. I've had lots of students who enjoyed most
aspects of physics, but very few have ever said they enjoyed writing up lab
reports. Those who do either a) know that they won't understand the lab
until they write it up, and enjoy wrestling with the concepts as they
write; or b) have discovered something in lab that nobody else knew.

It
is also important to assess attitude and work ethic in students to help
determine how well they will do at the 'next level'. The student above
(and
those 'bright' students from another note) who don't have the discipline
do the assignments are poor risks for employers (whether in research,
business, or academia). Yes, some will rise above the immaturity that
leads
to 'blowing off' assignments, but perhaps the very impetus to do so will
be
the lower grade received in the course. In other words--you NEED to
penalize the person who does not turn in a report.

Five questions about work ethic:

1) What's "work ethic?"

2) Why do you assess it?

3) How do you assess it?

4) What qualifies one to assess it? My training in physics qualifies me to
assess skill in physics, to some degree. I have no training in 'work
ethic,' other than that given me by my parents.

5) Is there such a thing as a 'play ethic' and if so, does it have any
bearing on future performance in a given field?

Three questions about grades and their purpose(s):

6) Would it be correct to say that you consider grades to be a necessary
motivational component of obedience training for students? That's what I
draw from your comments above.

7) Do you consider a grade to be an indication of a student's ability in a
subject?

8) Is there any conflict between your answers to 7 and 8?

Digby

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software
Win9x, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, PowerMac versions.
Details at www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara