Re: grade inflation, etc.

Digby Willard wrote:

... I've wondered for several years what the point of grades is.
and I haven't come up with any answers that reflect anything good. ..

In my opinion many students are motivated by grades. Higher
order motivation is more difficult to stimulate than a grading
system based on the principle of "more you learn higher grade
you get". It can be gradually reestablish in a country to advance
average learning. All "helpful tricks" should be promoted. But , in
my opinion, this can only be done from above, not from below.
Ludwik Kowalski