Re: Grade Inflation (Was: Student Evaluations of Teaching)

On Sun, 02 Jan 2000 15:33:23 -0600 David Marx <dtmarx@SIU.EDU> writes:
On Sun, 02 Jan 2000 11:23:28 -0800 "Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann
Seese"
<georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM> writes:

Another example if the increasing disparity in our 'new communist
free" world. Education is even less free and available -- to
the advantage of the kleptocrats.

Please explain the term "kleptocrats" . I am unable to find it in
my dictrionary or encyclopedia. Does it have anything to do with
kleptomania"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have every nationality except kleptocrats)

There are many kleptocrats in New York City, one of the most taxed
portions of the country. Kleptocrat is an elected individual who is
unable to keep his/her
hands out of taxpayers pockets and seek to take away individual
freedoms.
This is a very right-wing definition. :>]

How do we identify such individuals as opposed to the majority of our
hard-working elected officials in New York City?.

Grade inflation is a problem. It gives students the somewhat false
belief that they have gained something by attending school, parents the

false belief that they have gotten something for their money, and
educators the false belief that students are learning in their courses.
university is no longer a place of learning, but rather a place to
receive a much
desired piece of paper that _entitles_ an individual to a high-paying
job.
We live in the land of entitlement and delusion.

Where can we find data to back up these assertions ?