Re: Re(2): Student Evaluations of Teaching

At 00:53 1/2/00 -0500, Brian Rintoul wrote:
Prior to 1967, the Province of Ontario had Province wide grade 13 High
School exams. An Ontario Scholar (80% or greater average) was given a
chunk of cash about equal to one year's tuition fee. ...

Wondering off-topic somewhat....
I was checking out of one of the three supermarkets in town
(United, Main Street) when I struck up a conversation with the young
person on the cash register. These folks are often from one of the two
local high schools.
I was not surprised: pleasant customer relations is a prized feature
of that store's corporate culture, it seems.

She mentioned when I asked, that she was no longer at high school, but
as valedictorian she had received a scholarship clear through college
at Stillwater (upstate). I had no idea the rewards were so appreciable!
She was doing biology, with the intention of going on to medical
school, and was home for Christmas.
She had been a cheerleader in highschool, it transpired.
One can only marvel.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK