Re: Student Evaluations of Teaching

What Peter describes is an absolute disgrace, though all too common.
When will the forces who stand for serious educational standards come
out and publicly condemn this sort of idiocy?

Jerry Epstein
Polytechnic University

Peter Schoch wrote:

Now, back to the evaluations... We have a last line on our forms that
reads something like "Would you recommend this instructor to another
another student Y N" . During our tenure process, the Dean asks us
about our overall rankings on this question! If we fall below 80% Yes,
we have to justify why. If we cannot, we are in jeopardy of not getting
tenure. No matter what else we do, if we don't keep our students
happy, we are doomed.