Re: Student Evaluations of Teaching

We have just finished our ten year accreditation, and as a result we
have rewritten our mission statement to emphasize the fact that we are
an institution of learning -- not teaching. This is how all pervasive
the idea: "That we cannot teach, they must LEARN with our help." has
become. I don't think it's bad, it just seems silly that we have to
boldly emblazon it on everything.

Now, back to the evaluations... We have a last line on our forms that
reads something like "Would you recommend this instructor to another
another student Y N" . During our tenure process, the Dean asks us
about our overall rankings on this question! If we fall below 80% Yes,
we have to justify why. If we cannot, we are in jeopardy of not getting
tenure. No matter what else we do, if we don't keep our students happy,
we are doomed.

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Well said, Jack.

..... The bottom line: the effective teacher is one who inspires
the students to learn on their own. ...

A good teacher, however, is only a component of what is necessary
to promote effective learning. Yes, it is an essential component but
sometimes not sufficient. Good architects are often as important as
good builders.