Re: Polygraph Screening

According to Mr. Crowell's netiquette, I have wasted everyone's time by
disputing George Maschke's tirade against our government's use of polygraph
tests to help ensure the loyalty of employees who are granted top secret and
higher code-word security clearances. I don't agree with Mr. Crowell's
assertations but since he is a newcomer I will give him the benefit of the
doubt as I refute his claims.

First, I did indeed read Mr. Maschke's original piece. That's what set me
off. What I declined to read was his "open letter" to Secretary Richardson.
His first piece had telegraphed his message sufficiently that I thought it
would have been a waste of my time (and needlessly raised my blood pressure)
to read more of it.

Second, red-baiting is still de rigueur for some of us when we are accosted
by unwarranted trashing of our government. I hope Mr. Crowell doesn't really
believe that the cold war is over. The principal opponent has become more
diffuse, but the threat is just as ominous.

Third, I reasoned my words carefully before posting them. I sent my critique
to the entire list (hundreds of people) because it was my reply to Mr.
Maschke's original ill-considered posting to the entire list.

Fourth, I believe my two replies refuted very well the disinformation in Mr.
Maschke's two postings. I invite Mr. Crowell to read all four messages a bit
more carefully.

Fifth, I trust the current message uses the Phys-L bandwidth more
reasonably.

One more thought not in reply to anyone. I'm not trying to get us to choose
up sides for a pissing contest. But when I see such poorly camouflaged
vitriol poured on the government that protects us, I get carried away fairly
easily. I note that I am not the only reader offering criticism of Mr.
Maschke's thesis.

poj