From: "George Maschke" <gmaschke@COMPUSERVE.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 3:07 PM
Subject: Polygraph Screening

If you have students who may be considering employment at any of America's
national laboratories where atomic weapons research is conducted (Lawrence
Livermore, Los Alamos, Sandia), you might do them a favor by warning them
about the U.S. Department of Energy's recently-adopted policy of polygraph
screening for certain as yet to be defined positions.

I have written an exposé on the polygraph screening format adopted by DOE,
"The Lying Game: National Security and the Test for Espionage and Sabotage,"
and I invite you to peruse it on the Federation of American Scientists'
website at:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/maschke.html

or, alternatively, on my personal website, with e-mail addresses for the
key persons mentioned in the article, at:

http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/people/maschke/the_lying_game.html

Critical comment is welcome, and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Sincerely,

George Maschke