Chautauqua Courses

Note from George Miner. If you have questions, please respond directly to
him at miner@neelix.udayton.edu

Dear Colleague:

You should receive the new Chautauqua brochure sometime in
January. I am including here advance notice of the courses to be
offered by the University of Dayton Center in 2000. Note that there
are four new courses on Java, Hawaiian marine ecosystems,
environmental issues of the Colorado Front Range, and enhancing
an engineering technology course. New last year were retention of
science students, Visual Basic , and Hawiaan volcanoes. I would
be happy to send you by email detailed descriptions of any of
these courses. Just tell me by reply email!

Following the list of courses here is an email application form for
your use if you want to apply now. Note that the field courses tend
to fill early. In fact, last year over half of the following courses were

closed well in advance of offering. We would be happy to hear from
you now!

During the holidays my time in the office will vary. On January 3
regular activities will resume. I wish you the very best holiday
season!

2000 Chautauqua Courses at University of Dayton

Mar30-Apr1 in Orlando, FL, Craig Nelson, Increasing the Retention
of Under-Represented Groups -- And the Learning of All Groups --
In Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology Courses

Apr. 26-28 in Dayton, OH, Cheshier, Landis and Anderson,
Enhancing Student Success through a Model "Introduction to
Engineering Technology" Course

May 3 - 5 in Dayton, OH, Dudley Poston, Census 2000: A
Resource for Undergraduate Teaching and Research

May 11-13 in Dayton, OH, Joseph Lang, An Introduction to the
Java Programming Language

May 11-13 in Dayton, OH, Wayne Summers, Advanced Guide to
the Internet and Web Publishing

May 15-17 in Dayton, OH, Wayne Summers, Web Programming

May 17-19 in Dayton, OH, Craig Nelson, Creation, Evolution or
Both? A Multiple Model Approach

May 22-24 in Green Bank, WV, Jay Lockman, A Radio View of the
Universe and the New Green Bank Telescope

May 25-27 in Green Bank, WV, Gareth Wynn-Williams, Teaching
Introductory Astronomy

May 31-Jun.2 in Dayton, OH, Judith Gersting, Introduction to
Visual Basic Programming

Jun. 7 - 9 in Dayton, OH, Joseph Lang, Object Oriented
Programming with C++ and Java

Jun. 17 - 19 in Anchorage, AK, Bart Sveinbjornsson and Donald
Spalinger, Ecology of South-Central Alaska

Jun. 21 - 23 in Anchorage, AK, Kristine Crossen, Glaciers in Alaska

Jul. 5 - 8 in Hawaii, Kelly Williams and Kim Sander, Hawaiian
Marine Ecosystems

Jul. 10-14 in Hawaii, Alex Malahoff, Hawaiian Volcanoes from
Mauna Kea to Loihi

Jul. 22-27 in Colorado, Michael Monahan and Kelly Williams, From
Grasslands to Glacial Cirques: Ecosystems and Environmental
Issues of the Colorado Front Range

Aug. 2 - 4 in Socorro, NM, Miller Goss, Interferometry in Radio
Astronomy, the VLA and the VLBA

-------------------------

Dayton 2000 Chautauqua Application (A $40 application fee must
be
sent to complete application.)

Course Name:

Alternate Course:

Applicant Name:

Office Address:

Phone:

E-mail:

Preferred Address (Office or Home):

Home Address:

Home Phone:

Gender:

Highest Degree and Year:

Current Position and Major Responsibility:

Number of Years Teaching and Courses Usually Taught:

Previous Chautauqua Experience:

Required Statement of Interest:

George

George K Miner