From: "Chuck Britton" <britton@ACADEMIC.NCSSM.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 1999 3:50 PM
Subject: Radial tires

John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM> wrote:

I'm never sure what such things mean, either. There's too much
inconsistent usage. The one that really cracks me up is radial tires.
The key patented component runs in a direction that I cannot bring myself
to call radial. See
http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/groupe/images/ph113g-a.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked out the jpeg and DO see your confusion! That picture indeed
fails
to show the 'radial' aspect of the tire construction.

Can you understand why the 'conventional' construction on the left is
often
called 'bias' ply?
Folks who sew know that cutting on the bias implies a 45 degree angle to
the threads (cords) of the fabric. The bias ply tires were quite strong
because of this alternating cord direction, much like the alternating
grain
direction in 'ply' wood. Unfortunately, this rigid sidewall construction
also led to lots of internal friction as the portion of tire in contact
with the road had to squish down. As the plys flexed, they had to rub
against each other, not only creating excess ' thermal energy' but adding
to the rolling resistance of the tire.

What the Right Hand jpeg clipping does NOT show is the cords of the
'radial
ply' tire running directly from the tread (belts) and the 'bead' (where
the
tire meets the rim).
These cords run 'parallel' to each other and could conceivable be
visualized as being in the radial direction since each is directed toward
the hub of the wheel. This cord arrangement yeilds considerably less
internal friction and a more flexible sidewall for the tire.

The clipping in question seems to be illustrating the 'tangential' steel
belts that allowed Michelin to successfully introduce the radical, radial
construction.

When was the last time anybody bought bias ply tires instead of steel
belted radials?

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu