Re: html, styled e-mail vs. plain text (was: I agree. LKS)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Larry Smith wrote:

I disagree. Usually on e-mail lists the content is king, not the format.
The content is in the text, the plain 7-bit ASCII text, not in the colors
and fonts and sizes that obfuscate things. On rare occasions where

He, Larry, said it once...

True, but..... the whole point of e-mail lists like ours is communication.
Let's not lose sight of that. Up to the present, and, IMHO, for a least
another few years in the future, communication is best facilitated by plain
text. Not only does it get the message across, but it is also the common
denominator for e-mail programs of all kinds.

and here it was it the second time: The content, communication, that's the
point!

And "never" is a very long time. Possibly the time will come when I will
agree that html is a common denominator; and maybe by then I will be
convinced that it provides some new benefits. But I don't think that time
is soon.

I completely agree with Larry's post.

Best regards,
Miguel A. Santos